...

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Some drink to forget, may be i suffer a complete memory loss after that

29 July,2009

Bhopal

“Aapko pehle bhi kahi dekha hai!” Sounds like heaven when spoken by a girl. But in my case these words were uttered by a professor, alleging me of a crime, I have never commited although I have been under my mom’s suspicion for days uncountable. The incident took place in my class, and ended up with a teetotaler winning a boozer's title

The mechanical branch is a crash of boys ( yes we are comparable to rhinoceroses) so teachers don’t think twice before drilling a comment. However, the presence of 2 girls (rather only 1, since the other one is scarcely seen) seems to have alleviated the frequency and the grossness of the comments we get to hear. Time and again some student becomes a victim of the teacher’s mirth. Today it was my turn (also). The class commenced at 9:30 sharply, as we had pissed off the Mathematics faculty at her wits end, a thing we have been doing in every mathematics class since first yr. The professor for next class was standing right outside the class. Faculties, wise enough, do this as a pre-emptive measure against our habitual tendency of fleeing away in case of a delay in prof’s arrival. It’s a subconscious urge… we can’t help it

The entire 50 min class was ‘peaceful’ except for a few blips of akash being caught writing his lab record while the class was on and smearing gaurav with an allegation of watching on mobile, which he escaped cleverly. To quench the reader's inquisitiveness, I must mention that he was doing something in his mobile (but nothing offensive), but people around him were peeking into it and chuckling. Such distractions are obviously intolerable for any faculty, and so was for him. However we haven't named Gaurav as komolika without a reason. He tricked the Prof into believing that he was doing no such thing.

But these light moments were perhaps inadequate for the class so the climax was shot on me.

The prof was inviting roll calls, calling each student by their scholar number. As soon as he arrived at my roll no. he paused… swung his head…and asked “Where do you live??”

I replied it as I, in fact anyone, would do and he quipped even before I could complete my sentence with proper puntuation:

“Ya I saw you at the Wine shop…”

The entire class burst out laughing.

My heart started thumping on my chest as I was shocked and confused.

He continued, "Ya I saw you at the liquor shop in Nehru Nagar, What were you doing there?"

"Well.. umm... I live nearby... so I pass in front of the shop quite often"

"To buy?"

"No sir, I don't drink"

"Don't lie... Your face speaks that you do"

"Sorry sir, that's not true" And then I mumbled under my breath,"What were you doing there by the way"

"I hope to not see you near that shop again"

"Yes sir" I replied with an obvious question in mind that 'Sir, will you drop by daily to keep an eye on me?'

Thanks to my mech bro’s who took my side and convinced him that I don't drink. That too of course after a few remarks that nearly confirmed the professor's doubt…

“Ha sir bahut bada darua hai!!!”

“Sir, roz jaata hai, aaj bhi wahi milega.”

“Sir, aapko free mein pilayega, bol ke to dekhiye!!!”

As a consequence of the incident, now I am addressed as “SHARABI” and “DARUA”. Ironically I don't drink...!!! There is another possibility; they say some people drink to forget. Maybe I suffer a complete memory loss, that's why I can't even recall that I drank.


No comments: